Driver: Gordon Johncock
One of the greatest “500” finishes ever—if not the greatest—came in 1982 when Gordon Johncock held off a very determined bid by Rick Mears to win by a margin of only 0.16 seconds. It was the second win for Johncock, whose STP-sponsored V8 Cosworth–powered Patrick Wildcat was the last 500-winning car to be built in the United States. It was constructed at the Patrick Racing Team headquarters, near the corner of West 38th Street and Lafayette Road in Indianapolis, just behind the Lafayette Square shopping mall.
Adoption cost: $1,000
* Racing Ambassador Membership
* A vintage photo of your adopted car in Victory Lane
* Recognition signage with the car and on the Museum’s website
* Listing on the Adopt-A-Car donor wall in the Museum
* An “I adopted” magnet of the car
* A certificate of adoption
Adoptions are for a period of one year with the option to renew annually.