Fuel Injection Kurtis
Driver: Bill Vukovich
The first of the so-called “roadsters” was the Fuel Injection Special built in 1952 by Frank Kurtis in collaboration with Jim Travers and Frank Coon, co–chief mechanics for car owner Howard Keck and later the founders of Traco Engineering. The engine was placed far to the left (and tilted slightly), with the driver’s cockpit offset to the right, the driveshaft running next to the driver’s left hip. Driven by Bill Vukovich, it led for 150 laps in 1952, only to drop out with a steering failure while leading with only nine laps to go. The combination then won from the pole in the murderous heat of 1953—leading all but five laps—and then won again in 1954, after which the car was retired.
Adoption cost: $1,500
* A vintage photo of your adopted car
* Recognition signage with the car and on the Museum’s website
* A certificate of adoption
Adoptions are for a period of one year with the option to renew annually.